Fort Margherita was built in 1879 to guard Kuching’s river approaches from pirates. In the old days, a canon shot was fired from here every evening to mark the end of the government work day. Named after Charles Brooke’s wife, Ranee Margaret, it is a unmistakable landmark along Sarawak River. As the Fort is situated within the police training barracks, visitors may be asked for some form of ID.
Brooke Gallery now open
The Brooke Gallery at Fort Margherita, was officially opened on September 24, 2016 coinciding with the 175th anniversary of the founding of State.
Housed in a Fort named after James Brooke’s wife, Rani Margherita, the gallery’s irreplaceable historical documents, artefacts and arts from the White Rajah’s era, wrapped in steep history and preserved in time.
The gallery also includes new addition such as a portrait painting of Rentap painted by the local artist, Alena Murang, depicting the man who was a hero to some and a villain to others.
This gallery was a joint project of the Sarawak Museum Department, Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture as well as Mr. Jason Brooke, the grandson of the last Rajah Muda and the Director of The Brooke Trust.
You may take a Penambang water taxi to the Fort from various Waterfront jetties on the south bank.