Sarawak Tourism Complex
Formerly known as the Old Court House Complex, it was built in 1871 as the seat of Sarawak’s government, and was used for this purpose as late as 1973.
It is a superb collection of buildings, with magnificent belian (ironwood) roofs and beautiful detailing inside and out, reflecting local art forms. The colonial-baroque Clock Tower was added in 1883 and the Charles Brooke Memorial in 1924. The complex also includes The Pavilion Building – a piece of old New Orleans transplanted to Kuching, completed in 1909 used for many years as the General Hospital and now transformed into Sarawak’s Textile Museum – and The Round Tower, originally planned as a fort (1886), then used as a dispensary, and nowadays the headquarters of the Sarawak Craft Council.
Following restoration of the original buildings and redevelopment, this important heritage site (situated at the junction of Main Bazaar and Jalan Tun Abang Haji Openg, facing the Waterfront) reopened in 2003.
|Culture and Heritage|
You may also like
Islamic Heritage Museumclick here for more info
Chinese History Museumclick here for more info
Cat Museumclick here for more info
Sarawak Museumclick here for more info
Natural History Museumclick here for more info
Kuching Waterfrontclick here for more info
Main Bazaar and Carpenter Streetclick here for more info
Fort Margherita (Brooke Gallery)click here for more info