Popular Entertainment Area in Kuching
Kuching has entertainment and nightlife to suit most tastes. As this guide has been written with tourists in mind, we have not included places that concentrate on lavish business entertainment or where female visitors would feel uncomfortable.
Socialising in Kuching is also done in restaurants and coffee shops. Normal pubs usually charge around RM 8-10 for a beer. Live music pubs, hotel bars, plush karaoke lounges and trendier bars are usually RM 12 upwards. Most places have “happy hours,” with discounts or 2-for-1 offers. Unless otherwise stated, outlets are open daily from around 5 pm to 1 am (2 am Fri & Sat). The main city-centre areas to find pubs and bars are in and around Taman Sri Sarawak, Padungan Road, the Travillion Mall (Jln Petanak) and Jln Bukit Mata. The listings below are only a small selection of city centre pubs and bars – the inquisitive will make their own discoveries.
Pubs & Bars
- The Cottage, Jln Bukit Mata. Friendly corner pub with a good selection of wines and reasonably priced Kilkenny draught stout. Lunchtime till late.
- The Granary Kitchen + Bar has an iconic look and feel, and is one-of-a-kind in Kuching. You can find us at 23 Wayang St. Find out more at www.thegranary.my
- Jambu Tapas Bar, 32 Crookshank Road. Tel: 082-235292. Cosy terrace bar located in the garden setting of a colonial style bungalow. Closed Mondays. 15 mins walk from city centre or take a taxi. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jambu-Restaurant-Lounge/
- Rainforest, Taman Sri Sarawak, opp. Hilton. Noisy, sweaty hip-hop and R&B bar, popular at weekends with a very young and boisterous crowd.
- The Ruai Bar, 3 Jln Green Hill. Laid back ethnic style bar run by a friendly Iban family. Youngish, mostly Dayak crowd enjoy welcoming visitors. Huge selection of music on the PC (a great place to top up your i-Pod), cheap beer, and authentic longhouse food served most evenings.
- Tanju, Simpang Tiga.
- The Library, ST3 Mall. https://www.facebook.com/thelibrary.kuching
- Drunk Monkey Old Street Bar, Carpenter Street.